4.05.2007

Humility...

HU·MIL·I·TY
–noun
the quality or condition of being humble; modest opinion or estimate of one's own importance, rank, etc.
—Synonyms lowliness, meekness, submissiveness.
—Antonyms pride.


HUM·BLE
–adjective
1.not proud or arrogant; modest: to be humble although successful.
2.having a feeling of insignificance, inferiority, subservience, etc.
3.low in rank, importance, status, quality, etc.; lowly: of humble origin; a humble home.
4.courteously respectful
5.low in height, level, etc.; small in size
6.to lower in condition, importance, or dignity; abase.
7.to destroy the independence, power, or will of.
8.to make meek: to humble one's heart.

Dictionary.com


How hard is it to remind yourself daily to be humble? I like to believe that I don't think higher of myself than others... But how many times do I catch myself criticizing someones clothes, or perhaps there hair, car, house, personality, way of life...etc. Is this because I think I am something special?...No, because in general I don't wear as nice of clothes as I want to, nor do I even have a Drivers License or own a house, my hair is nothing special, my personality isn't the greatest at times and my idea of a good wholesome lifestyle may not be the same as everyone else's. So what is it that causes this occasional pride? I have no idea...and perhaps I will never know.
This last Communion and Foot-washing has made me realize my pride is getting the better of me too often. When I see a person, what is my first thought...Do I think about their soul, Do I wonder if they are hungry, lonely, or lost in this world of darkness, Do I think about how I could help, Do I think about the love I am to love them with through Christ? Or are my first thoughts about their appearence, their situation, or maybe their attitude... Why can I not remember to always see people through the loving eye of Jesus reather than the critical eye of the flesh? What will it take to be more like Jesus...
This year I would like to learn to have more humility. What better example and teacher can I have than Jesus? Jesus, the Almighty King, washed the feet of people He knew would deny Him, betray Him and perhaps mock Him. Can I, a sinner, not do the same? My biggest enemy at times is my flesh... I pray the Lord will help me. Teach me to be humble towards others.

5 comments:

Katrina Holmes (Tina) said...

Very good post Esther.

Katrina Holmes (Tina) said...

Very good post Esther.

MissionsAngel said...

Hi miss Ester!!! A humble heart is the reflection of a beautiful spirit founded in truth!

j.elle said...

This is my favorite post. It is so true. I thought I was the only one.

Love you lots, Esther!

EstherH said...

Jael!!!! Your awesome, I love you! I'm glad I'm not the only one!